The Cave des Vignerons de Buxy was founded on 30 June 1931, by 98 pioneer wine growers from Buxy and some surrounding areas. They decided to work together to find a collective solution to the problems they were experiencing with the production, storage and sale of their wines.
An 8,000-hl capacity vathouse was built. The work was not finished in time for the first harvest, but the harvest had to be brought in nonetheless.
Their financial resources were very limited and it was only the energy and tenacity of these first wine growers that kept the Cooperative going. They started to sell the wine in bottles for the first time …
The "Montagny " A.O.C. was officially recognised by the decree of 11 September 1936. Extending over the communes of Montagny-les-Buxy, Saint Vallerin, Jully-les-Buxy and Buxy, it was one of the first appellations to receive recognition. The "Montagny" appellation includes many "premier cru" climats. There are 53 in total, the most famous of which are Montcuchot, Les Coères, Les Chaniots (or Chagnots). In Montagny, these are mostly located in the intermediate zones and frequently on the upper slopes.
The winery often had difficulty finding space for all the wine it produced. Even though the size of the harvests fluctuated (16,000 hl in 1935 and 5,130 hl in 1938), they still had to resort to storing the wines in rail tankers in Buxy station during the winter.
This is why, whenever finances allowed, they expanded their site to increase the vinification capacity.
Mechanisation was introduced in the Côte Chalonnaise and the first high-clearance tractors replaced the horses in the vineyards. It was also around this time that clogs and buskins were replaced by boots.
Roger Rageot was named director of the Cave des Vignerons de Buxy.
The board had employed its first director and it entrusted him with the management of the Cooperative along with the mission of developing the sales of wine in bottle in order to obtain a better return for the members' production.
The market was particularly difficult at this time.
On 24 January 1977, the Cave de Saint Gengoux le National merged with the Cave des Vignerons de Buxy.
From then on, the Cave des Vignerons de Buxy’s production area spanned both the Côte Chalonnaise and the Mâconnais regions.
This meant that it was able to offer a range of wines from Santenay to Cluny, including the appellations of Montagny, Mercurey, Givry, Rully, Macon Village and Mâcon Saint Gengoux. It also became Burgundy’s leading supplier for Bourgogne Aligoté.
The winery's management and board set about improving the quality of their work upstream. They created technical committees and introduced a process for identifying the quality vines before the harvest.
This allowed them to introduce a tiered payment system based on the perceived potential of each vineyard before the harvest. Over the years, this system has evolved to meet new quality objectives.
The founding of the GIE BLASONS DE BOURGOGNE company whose mission was to market the Cooperative’s wines to supermarkets. Such was the company’s success that it expanded into the export market in 1996. It became a cooperative union in 2006 and since 2015, it has operated as the “La Compagnie de Burgondie”.
Introduction of a new automated packaging line able to fill 6,500 bottles per hour.
Playing host to the peripatetic Saint-Vincent Festival was quite an event.
The festivities were organised under the aegis of the Confrérie des Chevaliers du Tastevin. Decorating the villages and developing the Saint-Vincent vintage took months of preparation and involved all the winegrowers and the entire population of the villages of Montagny, Saint Vallerin, Jully les Buxy and Buxy.
For the first time, developing the vintage was a collective project. Each winegrower brought 40 kg of grapes per hectare to the Cave des Vignerons de Buxy.
The cellar produced, matured and packaged the four Saint Vincent vintages for all the producers of the appellation. It was a roaring success!!
The winery built a 33,000-hl capacity vathouse for both red and white wines on the Buxy site, boasting temperature-controlled stainless-steel vats along with a pneumatic pressing station. It also introduced a new system for the treatment of winemaking by-products.
As part of its drive to improve quality, the Cave des Vignerons de Buxy continued to invest, with the acquisition of a robot that can box/unbox 6,500 bottles per hour, and the installation of a de-palletizing cell for empty bottles that can work to a top speed of 8,500 bottles per hour.
The winery continued its development in export markets, particularly North America and Asia, and in France, with wholesalers and modern retailing formats. This important investment enabled it to meet the specific requirements of each of these markets and position itself for future growth.
The winery turned 80 years old and counted over 272 family-run domaines among its members, working the vines as their fathers used to do. Together, these men and women stand for the values of quality, conviviality and respect for the environment.
The Cave des Vignerons de Buxy committed to the sustainable practices set out by the “Vignerons en Développement Durable” (www.v-dd.com) organisation. With its local, national and international reach, the winery has become an ambassador for the wines of Southern Burgundy...
The Vignerons de Buxy started offering their customers wines from the Millebuis Collection. These wines are made from the painstaking process of harvesting and vinifying individual vineyard plots separately.
On 2 June 2015, the Cave des Vignerons de Buxy and the Caves Bailly-Lapierre joined forces to create "La Compagnie de Burgondie", pooling their sales, marketing and logistics resources in Burgundy.
The AVB (alliance of Beaujolais and Burgundy wine growers) joined the “Compagnie de Burgondie”, further strengthening the latter’s position as a supplier of wines from the wider Burgundy area.
The Vignerons de Buxy committed to an extensive investment programme aimed at improving the management of their production and logistics operations.
Creation of the Maison Millebuis - a vast wine tasting and tourism space in the Côte Chalonnaise.